Do you know what your shoes are made of?
Did you know that we only tan our leather using organic ingredients? The process called "vegetable tanning" has many benefits, including:
- a longer life (most veg-tanned leather goods tend to be thicker and last longer than chrome-tanned leathers since they go through a less intensive treatment during the tanning process and instead, naturally break in as you use them; they typically last many decades or even a lifetime!)
- a natural (non-toxic) smell (we use only tannins from plants and extracts rather than using toxic chemicals)
- it creates a rich patina and builds character with age
- has amazing breathability (especially helpful with shoes, since it is able to eliminate the accumulation of moisture and prevents bacteria, fungus, and irritation.) ⬅️ Gross, we know, but necessary to say, since it's one of our favorite benefits!
- is healthy and eco friendly
Our vegetable tanned leathers are both healthy for the workers who tan them and for you as a consumer! ? We use a special blend of plants, herbs and extracts to achieve leather that embodies the ideal texture, strength and softness in order to create your most perfectly imperfect BED|STU shoe or bag.
With vegetable tanning, the immediate color results usually vary quite a bit. This is because we use 100% organic ingredients to tan our leather. A plant cultivated in a different season or herbs from various geographical locations could easily change the color, creating a perfectly imperfect, and unique outcome; which is the heart of BED|STU.❤️️
What are your shoes made of?